FAQs about Mr. Yellow Cap
The problem with the original (old) design is that it always got lost. It was designed for locking, but few people understood that. How do we know this? Because we own 8 different Blitz gas/diesel cans and not one of them have the original yellow caps in place. They are all missing from their spout(s).
When we finally decided to contact the manufacturer to locate replacements parts, we found they had gone out of business. When we started asking friends, associates, and total strangers, if they still had their original yellow caps, they all said “no, they were lost a long time ago”. We also asked our friends if they knew where to purchase replacements. The answers were always “no”!
Mr. Yellow Cap is a patent-pending aftermarket design of the original, vintage Blitz/Kolpin/Rotopax style, plastic yellow cap. Since the original cap can no longer be purchased, Mr. Yellow Cap is the perfect yellow cap replacement for you! We have solved the issue of losing the cap by including a string in the Mr. Yellow Cap Pack. Never lose your cap again!
Mr. Yellow Cap works as a replacement for your lost Blitz, Kolpin, Rotopax, and Sceptor brand plastic spouts. Vintage to new, we have the cap for you!
Yes! The entire cap is made and packaged in Fall Branch, TN. When you purchase a Mr. Yellow Cap, you are getting a good, American made product at an affordable price.
Absolutely! The largest expense to losing your gas can cap is the cost to repair your lawn care equipment. A quote from the ALTAQUIP website shows a list of things you can do to protect your lawn care investments. #1 on the list is “Keep It Clean”. Dirt needs to be kept out of the fuel delivery system and Mr. Yellow Cap does that!
We found other interesting information when we did the research. Eleven people were killed and over 1200 seriously injured by exploding gas cans, as reported by NBC News . . . “At NBC News’ request, the Consumer Product Safety Commission analyzed available incident and injury databases and counted reports of at least 11 deaths and 1,200 emergency room visits that involved gas can explosions during the pouring of gasoline since 1998.” That’s just the action of pouring, what about the static discharge? The fumes from gasoline are extremely flammable and without a properly fitted and secured, cap on the end of the spout, the gas can is subject to explosions. Studies show that even static sparks can ignite them. This made us very nervous, as we always go to the gas station to fill up the gas cans and always smell the fumes on the way back. We were always worried that it would dump over and spill. Don’t put yourself or your family in a potential hazardous situation, protect yourself!
Another article talks again about static discharge, but also addresses the hazard specifically for portable fuel containers. Click here and take a look.
So what are people doing to solve this problem? Some creative temporary solutions have included:
- filling spout with a Rag
- filling spout with rolled up paper
- covering spout with water bottle
- filling spout with whittled stick
- covering spout with surgical glove tied to end
- covering spout with glove
The answer is no and the reason is this, we had to make a change to the cap to avoid violating the patent laws. So we decided to add the “bill” and kill two birds with one stone. First the “bill” allows you to tie a string to the cap and your gas can handle, thus never losing it again. Second, adding the “bill” change the description of the cap to allow a new patent. Now, the problem, having the “bill” on the cap does not allow the retaining ring to be put into place, as the original cap design was round and fit perfectly inside the retaining ring. What we discovered was that 80% of the people store their cans with the spout exposed. That leaves the 20% who prefer to have the spout stored in the can. We are working on a solution for the 20%, but haven’t come up with a good one yet. See the pictures for reference to this problem.